Tuesday, April 28, 2009

PAYPAL OR PLAY FOUL?

Let's face it, what does Paypal conjure up?

A friendly reliable mate expediting online payments, or some difficult to reach global organisation in the virtual world of cyber space?

Seems to me the cart could be before the horse when dealing with this outfit as I discovered when making my first purchase nearly two weeks ago. The replacement Victoriana Rose sugar bowl from the UK.

After confirming registration and the hype to buy! I did! Well no, actually I did not... You see it wasn't possible to complete the payment without a confirmation code.

What code and where was it? After several emails to the seller, Paypal and eBay, I finally got it from my bank.
At last, time to make the payment! Well no! Paypal has disabled my debit card, citing a problem with the expiry date. Another phone call to the bank, the card is indeed active.
But, how to pay when Paypal records a disabled card! Another email to enlighten them... May take a few days for reply... Still waiting!
Now, I mentioned something about the cart being before the horse. Well, apart from the hype to buy before verification, there's a $3.00 bank debit set up fee. So what! Barely enough for 500 grams of butter, hardly worth getting your knickers in a twist about.

Consider thousands of others and it's no trifling amount. It may be argued the fee is refunded with the first purchase but, does this put a different light on it? Probably not. Dropping interest rates aside, the sheer volume would amount to a tidy sum.

How to pay for my sugar bowl? Well, your guess is as good as mine.....

No comments:

Post a Comment